Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lil' Dragons - They Grow Up So Fast



Cycles

Every once in a while my Lil’ Dragons class is empty for at least a short time.  My class consists of four and five year olds, and children I consider young fives or young sixes.  Lil Dragon’s membership is limited to five to seven children to keep the student/teacher ratio low.  Their attention span isn’t what it should be and every once in a while, one is stuck in what I call “imagination land,” meaning they’re just visiting another world in their head. 

It’s my job to try to get them focused, thinking, and observant to what is around them.  I’ve discovered the best way to get my task done is to play with them. I guide the games that not only entertain, but also challenge them physically and mentally keeping them present and in the moment, in a word, focused. When they are ready or when they reach a milestone like another birthday, they leave my class and join the Children’s class, ages 6-14.

Right now, I’m enjoying my second cup of coffee, and checking on how they are doing in the new class.  Of course they are doing great. Soon a new Lil’ Dragons class will form and I can’t wait to meet them.  But for now, it’s nice to sit back, take a rest, and watch if the lessons I have taught them have taken hold.

1 comment:

unmitigated me said...

Cheers to you, my friend, for being such a patient teacher with them. Enjoy the break from the snausages!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails