Saturday, May 30, 2009

Senior Wing Chun Do

Chi Sao (Sticking Hands)

Wing Chun Do is an art that states: Can be used by any person, no matter of age, gender, or physical condition. Here is an excellent example of putting that claim into practice. 

For this 78-year old Dearborn resident, Dominick Martinelli never thought he would become a martial artist when he first joined a Wing Chun Do class in 1995.  Martinelli decided to try his hand at learning a self-defense system and has been going twice a week for over twelve years. Martinelli says, “Coming to wing chun do fits right into my lifestyle.  I like learning something while I work out. I always feel good after a class. As long as I feel good, I’ll keep on coming.”

Closing after an opponent

His instructor, Rocco Ambrose says, “Dominick came to us when he was 64 years old and was an enthusiastic student from the start. He told me that training in the martial arts helped him become strong and more focused; especially at a time when he felt he was losing his strength.  Someone would be in for a big surprise if they ever came up against Dominick.  Dominick is a great role model. He embodies what an active lifestyle can do and he understands the healthy impact of a life long exercise program.”

Chief Instructor Rocco Ambrose & Dominick Martinelli

A few years ago, Martinelli retired from General Motors after forty-nine years but quickly found activities to fill up his time.  He is learning tai chi and goes dancing four to five times a week learning new dance steps like ballroom and salsa dancing. “I really enjoy dancing, you meet great people and dancing is good exercise.”

Working on a drill

Martinelli says, “I have always tried to lead a healthier lifestyle. I stayed away from cigarettes, although I occasionally smoke a cigar or have a beer on special occasions. I eat right and get lots of exercise.”

By following Dominick’s example, other seniors can successfully combine critical elements of an active lifestyle. Because he enjoyed his work, he retired later in life. Working helped him to maintain active hours, keeping him on a schedule; getting up early, eating regularly, and scheduling other activities around his working hours. He also found a low impact exercise program with high impact results, his martial arts class, which helped him partly restore and maintain his strength, balance, flexibility, coordination, and endurance. In addition, his new love of dancing has added an aerobic component to his physical activities.

Quick trap and a strike 

Studies show that exercise is safe for people of all age groups and that older adults hurt their health far more by not exercising than by exercising. In general, men over 40 and women over 50 should check with their doctor before doing vigorous activity. Older adults, regardless of age or condition, benefit greatly by increasing their physical activity to a moderate level, which is among the healthiest things you can do for yourself.

When asked what he has gotten out of his martial arts experience, Martinelli says, “I found out that I still could generate power and strength. It motivated me to try new things. At the same time, I’m learning something about self-defense, keeping active and interacting with people much younger than myself. I like learning and I do the things that make me happy.” 

 

  Block and a strike. 

1 comment:

Jim Styro said...

And Dominick is a great guy! Nice post and photos, Ellie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails